Sunday, August 23, 2015

Let's Talk About Ringworm ...



Ringworm is an occupational hazard when living on the farm. It is a skin fungus that is highly contagious and must be taken care of in its early stages.

The fungus is in the soil and can be transmitted from livestock and poultry to humans as well.  Practice safe animal handling by washing your hands after touching your animals and wearing gloves when working with soil or mud.

Since I have been working in the garden quite a bit lately and digging ditches for drainage over the past couple of weeks on our property, I am not at all surprised that I contracted it.   There were days I was covered in dirt, grime and mud, thus it was almost certain I would get something from the soil.

A few weeks ago, I noticed a small patch of a rash on the back of my right hand.  I had no idea what it was and it was so terribly itchy, I just used some hydrocortisone on it and forgot about it.  The itching stopped, but then I noticed another itchy patch and a similar rash on my wrist.  I suspected it was ringworm and it had spread, yikes!

I did a little research and found that the same over the counter topical cream (clotrimazole and/or micanazole) for athlete's foot is supposed to work for ringworm. So, I bought some of that and have used it for the past two weeks (of a 4-week regimen).  I am happy to report that the patches on my hand and wrist are gone.

BUT, and you all knew there was BUT coming on this ... It appears to have spread to my inner elbow on my right arm, CRAP-O-LA!  Now I am slathering the cream there as well for the next few weeks.

Wish me luck! :-)

Here's a good link to educate yourself on ringworm:

http://www.medicinenet.com/ringworm/article.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment